Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Tanzania's Thabeet to enter NBA draft

Thabeet, a 7-3 center for UConn, was deemed eligible tuesday to draft for the upcoming NBA season.UConn's Hasheem Thabeet averaged more than 10 points as a sophomore, and ranked third in the nation with 147 blocked shots.Connecticut's Hasheem Thabeet blocks a shot by Purdue's Nemanja Calasan during the Huskies' 72-60 victory Thursday. Thabeet had 15 points and 15 rebounds.
Thabeet’s chart was like this: 36 minutes played,15 points,15 rebounds,4 blocks,1 steal plus 4 turn overs.ESPN.com - Massive ReturnsThe United States Basketball Writers Association has released it’s 2008-09 Men’s All-District Teams and UConn Huskies junior center Hasheem Thabeet has been honored as the District I Player of the Year as well as being named to the All-District Team as well.Thabeet made right call to return to HuskiesNBA Crystal Ball: Hasheem Thabeet Will Be the Next Dikembe MutomboThe church is near but the road is icy, the bar is far away but I will walk carefully” (Kuna jamaa alimrusha kama judo!)Thabeet, a 7-3 center for UConn, was deemed drafted to play during the upcoming NBA season.
Hasheem Thabeet speaks five different languages, but this proclamation needed no translation for Sellers, a UConn men’s basketball team assistant coach.
At 7'3", Hasheem Thabeet is the tallest player in UConn history. He was projected to be one the top picks in the upcoming NBA draft.


University of Connecticut's Hasheem Thabeet, a 7-foot-3 center from Tanzania, has decided to enter the National Basketball Association draft, the university said Tuesday.

Thabeet, a two-time defensive player of the year in the Big East conference in which Connecticut plays, averaged 13.6 points, 10.8 rebounds and 4.2 blocked shots per game in helping the Huskies to a 31-5 record and a Final Four berth in the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) tournament.

"After spending time with my family and friends and speaking with Coach (Jim) Calhoun, I have decided to give up my final year at UConn and enter my name in the 2009 NBA Draft," Thabeet said in a statement released by the university.

"I have had a great experience at Connecticut and cannot thank my coaches and teammates enough. I look forward to the challenge of playing professionally and know that my time here at UConn has prepared me to be successful in the future.

"I also want to thank all of the fans in Husky Nation that have followed my career, especially those from my homeland of Tanzania, and hope they will all be as supportive of me at the professional level as they have been to this point."

Calhoun called Thabeet "one of the most dominant defensive players in the history of college basketball."

"I am certain that wherever he ends up in the NBA, he is ready to be equally successful," Calhoun said. "He is a special player and even more special as a person."

Msomaji
Boston

No comments: